Participating in the Language Friends Programme gives language learners the opportunity to practise their Estonian by conversing with a mentor who is a native Estonian speaker or speaks Estonian as well as their first language.
Being a language learner means that:
- you have reached level B1 or higher in your Estonian language studies. This means that you can express yourself on everyday topics that are important to you (for descriptions of B1, B2, C1, and C2 levels, follow this link)
- you will have conversations with your mentor in Estonian about everyday topics;
- you will agree on whether you will be chatting once a week or more often;
- you will chat using a communication channel that suits both of you, e.g. phone, Zoom, Messenger, etc.
- you are available for chats between 14 February and 14 May 2024;
- you are of legal age and are participating voluntarily.
If it turns out that your language level or age does not meet the conditions of the programme, we may not offer you the Language Friends option. Instead, we may suggest other solutions.
This year, as many language learners participate in the program Keelesõber as we have involved Estonian language mentors – 900 people.
We will start bringing language learners and mentors together on Valentine’s Day – on 14 February. As we form the conversation pairs based on people’s preferences provided during registration, we need some time to form the conversation pairs and we will contact all mentors and language learners between 15 February and 31 March. We really appreciate your patience in awaiting a letter from the Language Friends Programme team, which will contain the details of your interview partner along with further instructions!
Language lovers will chat until May 14. We will summarize this year's season and announce the next season in the second half of May.